What is Zerodha?
In today’s world, investing is an essential part of securing your financial future. With inflation on the rise and the cost of living increasing every day, it’s crucial to make your money work for you. However, investing can often seem like a daunting task, with so many options available, and the risk of losing your hard-earned money. That’s where Zerodha comes in.
Zerodha is a Bangalore-based Indian online discount brokerage company founded in 2010 by Nithin Kamath. It has quickly become one of the largest retail brokers in India, with over 4 million active clients and a daily turnover of over $10 billion in 2021. Zerodha is known for its low brokerage fees and high-quality trading platforms, which have contributed to its rapid growth. Zerodha provides trading services in various financial instruments, including stocks, futures and options, currencies, and commodities. It operates on a discount brokerage model, which means it charges lower brokerage fees compared to traditional brokers, making it popular among retail investors and traders.
Zerodha’s trading platform, called Kite, is available for both desktop and mobile devices, making it easy for traders to access their accounts and trade from anywhere at any time. Zerodha also offers a range of educational resources and tools to help traders make informed decisions and improve their trading skills. In addition to its trading services, Zerodha has also launched various initiatives to promote financial literacy and awareness in India, such as its “Rainmatter” program to fund and mentor startups in the financial technology space.
What are the advantages of using Zerodha?
Low-Cost Trading: Zerodha offers low-cost trading with zero brokerage fees on equity delivery trades and a flat fee of just Rs. 20 per trade on intraday, F&O, currencies, and commodities.
Innovative Technology: Zerodha’s cutting-edge technology is designed to make investing simple and hassle-free. The platform offers a range of advanced tools and features such as Kite, a user-friendly trading terminal that allows investors to trade across multiple exchanges in India with just a few clicks.
Direct Mutual Fund Investment: Zerodha’s Coin platform is India’s first direct mutual fund investment platform. With Coin, investors can invest in direct mutual funds without paying any commission to intermediaries, which can help investors save money and increase their returns in the long run.
Educational Resources: Zerodha offers a range of educational resources such as online courses, webinars, and blogs on various topics related to investing. The platform’s trading and investment platform is also designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, making it easy for anyone to start investing.
Excellent Customer Support: Zerodha’s customer support team is dedicated to providing the best possible service to its customers. The platform offers support via phone, email, and live chat, ensuring that investors can get help whenever they need it.
Trust and Security: Zerodha is a SEBI registered stockbroker and is a member of NSE, BSE, MCX, and NCDEX. The platform follows strict security protocols to ensure that investors’ funds and personal information are protected.
Margin Trading Facility: Zerodha also offers margin trading facility to its clients. It allows investors to trade in stocks with a higher value than their account balance by leveraging their positions.
Open Account Instantly: Zerodha offers the facility of opening an account instantly, without any physical documents. One can easily complete the online KYC process and start trading within minutes.
Investment Options: Zerodha provides a range of investment options including stocks, mutual funds, commodities, currency, and derivatives.
Charts and Analysis: The trading platform of Zerodha offers advanced charts and analysis tools to traders. They can use these tools to perform technical analysis and identify trading opportunities.
How to open Account in Zerodha?
Opening an account in Zerodha is a simple and hassle-free process. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the Zerodha website: Visit the official website of Zerodha at www.zerodha.com.
- Click on “Open an Account”: On the homepage, you will see the “Open an Account” button. Click on it to start the account opening process.
- Enter your details: Enter your name, email address, and phone number on the account opening page. Then, click on “Continue”.
- Enter your PAN details: In the next step, you will be required to enter your PAN card details. You will also need to upload a scanned copy of your PAN card.
- Fill up the KYC form: After entering your PAN details, you will need to fill up the Know Your Customer (KYC) form. The form will require you to enter your personal details, bank details, and other information.
- Upload documents: You will need to upload a few documents such as your PAN card, Aadhaar card, and a cancelled cheque or bank statement. You can also choose to complete the e-sign process using your Aadhaar card.
- Pay account opening fees: Once you have filled up the KYC form and uploaded the required documents, you will need to pay the account opening fees. Zerodha offers two types of accounts – the Trading and Demat Account, and the Commodity Account. You can choose to open one or both accounts.
- E-Sign the application: Once you have paid the account opening fees, you will be required to e-sign the application using your Aadhaar card. If you choose not to use e-sign, you can print the application form, sign it and send it to the Zerodha office along with the required documents.
- Account Activation: After submitting the application, your account will be activated within 24-48 hours, and you will receive a confirmation email from Zerodha.
What are the Charges/Fees in Zerodha?
Zerodha charges a one-time fee for opening a trading and demat account. Here are the details of the account opening fees:
- Zerodha charges a flat fee of Rs. 20 per trade for intraday, F&O, currency, and commodity trades.
- Commodity Account: Zerodha charges a one-time fee of Rs. 100 for opening a commodity account.
- Trading and Demat Account: Zerodha charges a one-time fee of Rs. 200 for opening a trading and demat account. This fee includes Rs. 100 for account opening and Rs. 100 for the first year’s Annual Maintenance Charges (AMC).
- There are no charges for equity delivery trades
What are Platforms provided by Zerodha?
- Kite: a web-based trading platform with advanced charting, customizable watchlists, and real-time market data.
- Zerodha Trader: a desktop-based trading platform with advanced charting, multiple market watchlists, and customizable hotkeys.
- Console: a web-based platform that provides a dashboard for clients to manage their trading accounts, including positions, holdings, funds, and statements.
- Coin: Zerodha’s mutual fund investment platform that allows clients to buy and sell mutual funds online with no commission fees.
What’s the problem?
Trees are more important today than ever before. More than 10,000 products are reportedly made from trees. Through chemistry, the humble woodpile is yielding chemicals, plastics and fabrics that were beyond comprehension when an axe first felled a Texas tree.